I have a lot of friends who use one bad habit as an excuse for another bad habit

I have a lot of friends who use one bad habit as an excuse for another bad habit. Do you know people like this? I was at a party last week. One of my friends went outside and was smoking cigarettes. I said, “Hey, I didn’t know you smoked?” He said, “I only smoke when I drink.” Wait? What? Can you do that? Can you use one bad habit…as an excuse…for another bad habit? If that’s the case…I only steal….when I commit adultery. And I’ll tell you what, I’m leaving that house with something besides your wife’s pride.

I certainly have a lot of friends who use one bad habit as an excuse for another bad habit. One of my friend gave up drinking alcohol, but now he cannot stop having at least 3 aerated drinks at a party to make up for not drinking alcohol. Now drinking a lot of alcohol and a lot of aerated drinks are both bad habits from a health and diet perspective. But he is content that he has been able to successfully given up alcohol consumption. Another friend claims that she can eat as many sweet desserts as she wants as she exercises for and hour a day. While that may negate the calorie consumption, it’s not any reason to binge on unhealthy food. Anything in moderation is good, but when you leave one bad habit and use that excuse to binge on another, you are not really making process. Something for us to ponder about when giving up bad habits.